Saturday 27 April 2013

Oryx and Crake, Margaret Atwood

Read in hardback.  My copy is dated 2003, and I guess that's the last time I read this book. Gillian reminded me of it at Book Club the other night, and told me there was a sequel.  Then I checked on Amazon and a third instalment is coming soon.

Jimmy is the reluctant hero of this novel.  He has lost his best friend, and his lover, the human race has been devastated by a plague, and he has been left in charge of the Crakers, a new race of humans genetically engineered to be resistant to disease, sun burn and all other manner of evils including sexual jealousy.

How Jimmy came to be in this predicament is told in flash back.  And in the present you have Jimmy's fight for survival

I enjoyed reading this book again, as I hadn't remembered much of the story.  Margaret Atwood makes her dystopian future seem plausible, and dare I say it, potentially not that far off.

No comments:

Post a Comment